Monday, January 23, 2012

Being a mother

After 4 years of raising my son, it struck me today how much he means to me...while there was never any doubt in my mind that I love him to bits, I would sometimes (guiltily) reminisce about my 'before-kid' past life - the freedom to work long hours, to watch a late night film, to eat at new places without the fear of a new-taste puke on my new clothes, to wake up after 7 am (!)...

However today after seeing him go through a minor surgery and his post-operative misery, I have come to the conclusion that there is no greater joy and no greater pain than being a mother...to hear him scream out my name in his disoriented post-anasthesia phase, to see him whimper like an injured puppy made me want to cry out too...and it brought my protective motherly instinct to the fore like never before...and then to hear him settle down simply by being held in my arms and gently snore made me want to never let any further harm come to him ever again !

I was always the motherly sort - would coo at strangers' babies, but I was this motherly?? I had no idea...till today...

No comments:

Post a Comment