Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Has the time come?

For the last few weeks, I have been debating that endless debate in my mind...Is it time for me to finally get back to work? 

There have been multiple triggers for this debate - a sudden deluge of placement consultants sending linkedin requests, part-time jobs becoming available in the standard 'corporate' space, my friends getting back to work before I have even thought about it, the desire to make money again and the fact that my kid is now in 'big' school.

There are ofcourse pros and cons of both options but that just makes it harder to decide....there are so many positives of getting back:
  • more money in the household - maybe we can finally afford a house in this maximum city (see how money figures as the top reason!)
  • my mind will get that intellectual stimulation it so craves presently
  • probably my self-confidence will get a boost....maybe its just me but when some of my old college friends ask me, "What are you doing these days?"...I am almost afraid to admit and say I am a full time wife and mother...
  • my son will probably get less clingy and weepy if I am 3 minutes late in getting to his school for the sports day
But then again it is so hard to let go of habits formed over 4 years...getting back to work will probably mean:
  • my house will no longer run on the clockwork precision that it does now...
  • the freedom to step out and do things I want will go - after all you cannot visit an art exhibition during office hours...
  • my son might get more clingy and weepy if I am 3 minutes late in getting to his school for the sports day - its hard to let go and hand over your baby to a nanny ....she clearly is not good enough for him !!
oh decisions decisions...doubt if it will be sorted in a hurry...

No comments:

Post a Comment